Here’s a list of prompts for those joining Team Pepper 2014 for Nano Poblano, aka WordPress and BlogHer’s NaBloPoMo for November.
1. If you could invent a new eating utensil, what would it look like and what would you call it?
2. Finish this sentence: Sometimes, when I wake up in the morning, I want to ___________. Now use that sentence to start your post. Extra points if your post is more than 500 words long.
3. Evil overlords get the coolest toys. If you were an evil overlord, what would your ideal hideout/lair/study room be?
4. Everyone is naked under their clothes. What is your favorite article of clothing and why? Extra points if you include the word “phlegm” in this post.
5 Let’s face it, nobody is getting younger. Except you. Tell us all about how you defeated aging.
6.There are invisible gremlins hiding under my bed. What is hiding under yours?
7. Describe the perfect dessert. Make sure to include all five senses (sight, taste, touch, smell, entitlement—wait, sound).
8. A mad scientist just created an abomination in her laboratory. She wants you to name and describe the creature. What is that thing she’s holding? Is it dangerous?
9. An idiom is a phrase that isn’t meant literally (like, “He’s going to hit the roof,” or, “My eyes were bigger than my stomach”). If you could change what an idiom means, what would you change and why? Don’t like this prompt? Invent an idiom and explain what it means.
10. Write a biographical post where one of the things you talk about is a completely fabricated lie. Make that lie difficult to discern.
11. Write a biographical post where one of the things you talk about is true. Make the rest of it up.
12. My crystal ball is broken. What is humanity’s next greatest achievement?
13. Sometimes I make up words because I’m lazy and don’t consult dictionaries. Make up a word and tell me all about why people should use it.
14. Today is National Make Up a Holiday Day. Make it a good one.
15. Lists help people organize their lives. Write a list of ten things that amaze you.
16. Grammar helps people feel intellectually superior to other people, write a post telling me why you like or hate it.
17. Guess what? Comments make the world go ‘round. Write a post that is a single sentence long. Tag it with: Nano Poblano WordPress Comment Hungry Games. Release it into the wild. Go to other peoples’ posts with this tag. Copy the last post or comment and add your own sentence to it. Try to go to as many peoples’ blogs as possible. Extra points if you visit new blogs. Close the posts after 24 hours or as soon as you remember to do it.
18. My favorite food is the potato. What would you do if you ruled the world for a single day?
19. As you’ve been writing all these blog posts, you’ve been earning Nano Poblano points. What would you like to do with all these points?
20. Nano Poblano is serious business. What is the silliest thing you’ve ever done that anyone has witnessed?
21. Everyone: good news and bad news. The world is about to end because I pushed the big red button that says, “BUTTONS CAN’T TALK. DON’T PUSH ME.” Please describe how you’re going to save us all in a heroic and daring fashion.
22. If you could add an extra button to WordPress, what would that button be?
23. I’m unable to blog today because I fight space aliens with my amazingly awesome ninja skills. How do you keep the space aliens at bay?
24. Some people have accused me of making up blog prompts that are silly and require people to say things that aren’t true. It’s time to get revenge. Write a post about a famous historical person that is completely fictional. Nobody said whose revenge we were getting.
25. I have two kittens that go on grand adventures and refuse to bring home souvenirs. What do your pets do when you’re not around? If you don’t have pets, borrow someone else’s and describe their adventures.
26. You find a lamp lying on the ground. Contrary to public safety and common sense, you pick it up and touch it. A djinni pops out and tells you that it doesn’t grant wishes, but it will take you to a week in the one place in the world you really want to go to. Where do you tell the genie to take you, and what do you do when you get there?
27. I like eating popcorn at movies. I don’t like it when people annoy me at the movie theater. What’s your biggest pet peeve in public?
28. If you could grow an extra organ, what would it look like and what would it do?
29. Sometimes science experiments go awry. This one just did. What happened and why should we flee for our lives?
30. A shoulder Angel and a shoulder Demon fall in love, but can only see each other when their charge is conflicted. What does this do to him/her?
31. A rogue writer steals his friends’ writing prompts, and they go cross-country after him for revenge. What happens during their trip?
32. We’ve just been invaded by body snatching aliens bent on world domination. Write about an important, life-changing decision you made that had unintended consequences.
33. A man has just been abducted by bored aliens. What does he do to try to impress them?
34. Blog writers can write about sad things too. Tell us all about your happiest memory.
35. Novel writing isn’t for the faint of heart. Neither is blog writing. Write a post describing why doing Nano Poblano is cooler than doing NaNoWriMo (that’s National Novel Writing Month).
36. You have 500 words to tell us about the most important thing in your life. Make ‘em count.
37. Write a post in the form of a single question. (One sentence, asking one question. No two-part questions). Now, go answer other peoples’ questions.
38. If you could have a superhero play you in a movie, which superhero would that be?
39. If you could meet one person, living or dead, fiction or non-fiction, who would that be?